When you get a home surveillance system, you can feel much more comfortable when you are away and know that your belongings are safe. But there is so much information out there about these systems that it can be hard to figure out what to buy. In this guide, we will walk you through all of the items that might be on your list for a DIY Security Camera System and ensure that you have all the necessary knowledge to make an informed decision.
DIY home security cameras mean installing a home security system yourself. DIY home security systems are popular for being less expensive and easier to install than professional security systems. While DIY systems are usually easy to install and set up, when an experienced technician installs a professional system, you don't have to worry about the difficulties of the installation process.
What do you need to prepare?
Most outdoor security cameras are designed for DIY installation, a process that doesn't take much time. You should only need a few simple tools like a drill and hammer and some patience. So what do we need for a DIY home security system? Next, we will introduce you in detail.
1. You have to pick a security camera. Here we have the best solar-powered outdoor security cameras as well as the best security systems. Turn on the camera and test whether the camera works normally, after making sure there is no problem with the camera, please follow the instructions on the device to fully charge the camera before installation.
2. Download the app. After confirming that the camera can work normally, check whether the application can be connected and used normally. Most smart security cameras have apps that let you control the device remotely or watch live video. The application name will be introduced in the business introduction or instruction manual. You can search for the app name in Google Play or App Store and install the app on your mobile device. Some merchants will provide QR codes, and mobile phones can directly scan the QR codes and download them.
3. Add your device to Wi-Fi. After downloading the app, if connected to Wi-Fi, follow the instructions to add the camera as a device on the Wi-Fi network. When your device can successfully add WiFi, it means that the camera, application, and WiFi connection are all normal. You are ready for the next step of installation and use. If one of the steps cannot be completed, you need to contact the merchant for assistance.
4. Make a plan. Map out the area you want to inspect and where and at what angle you want to place the cameras, making sure each camera has a clear line of sight. Outdoor cameras are built to last, but you can also extend their life if you protect them with rain gutters or something similar. If you're using a wired camera, it also needs to be plugged into a power source, so you may need to drill a hole in the wall to make sure the cable running from the wall connects to the camera.
5. Prepare a camera stand. Many cameras come with a drill template to help you place the holes correctly. Using the template, drill pilot holes for the mounting screws in the indicator, then install any mounting pins with a light tap of a hammer. You can then screw the camera mount securely into the wall.
6. Install the camera. Fix the camera to the bracket and adjust it to the desired direction and angle. If your wireless camera needs batteries, install them first. There are also solar-powered cameras, such as the Campark SC02 outdoor solar-powered security camera, please pay attention to installing them on walls or eaves with sunlight. However, if the camera is a wired security camera, make sure the cable can be connected to the camera before attaching the camera to the mount.
7. Review the video and make any necessary camera adjustments to capture the best angle and view.
What should I pay attention to when installing?
Although it is legal to install surveillance cameras, it is also necessary to pay attention to the legal situation of each state and each city, because surveillance laws may also vary from region to region, so it is best to check the regulations of surveillance laws in your hometown before installing them. However, no matter whether you are installing an indoor or outdoor camera, when installing indoor surveillance, please be careful not to place the camera out of these places.
1. Indoor camera: Please avoid relatively private spaces such as bathrooms, bedrooms, and dressing rooms. If you are not sure whether the security camera you purchased has been hacked, this is the best way to prevent it.
2. Outdoor security cameras: Many honest surveys of neighbors are against the law, so please determine the surveillance area to avoid surveillance of neighbors' property.
Test Your Security System
- Check Security Basics
When you finish the installation, turn on the camera and check if the camera light is on or not. Check the basic settings, such as the voice call function, and motion sensor function. You can go into the camera's detection zone and try to get the camera to trigger motion to see if the alarm goes off and you get a notification on your phone. You can try to walk or stand in every corner to see if the camera can detect and trigger normally, and you can adjust the camera angle according to the test situation.
- Test the reliability of security cameras
The second stage of testing introduces more complexity. Add the field of view of multiple cameras to the mobile phone, or add the number of cameras to the display, and check whether each camera can detect the picture normally. After ensuring that the monitoring screen of each camera is normal, you can try to water the camera to test the monitoring effect in rain. According to the function of the camera, it can detect whether it can work normally without wifi. Take note of all the features included in these more complex devices, and how they perform in initial battery tests.
- Real test
The cameras were put to work and saw them in action within a week of use. After using the system for a few days you may find that many unexpected elements appear. For example, some cameras do not sufficiently suppress ambient noise and detect motion insensitively or too sensitively. Perhaps your phone receives few or very few detection notifications. At this point, it is necessary to record the problems encountered. If the camera cannot be connected to the Internet, it may be a problem with the home Internet. It is necessary to check the connection of the home network, router, and network cable. If it is a camera setting problem, you can set the camera according to the manual or the merchant's suggestion. If it is a camera problem, you need to contact the merchant for help.
Best DIY Security Camera Recommendations
Smart security cameras come in a wide range of prices, but the average camera costs around $150 and an outdoor camera costs $200. Most cameras let us monitor them through a mobile app for free, but some offer or even require 24/7 professional monitoring, especially if it's part of a larger security system. Then you can opt for a security system with built-in monitoring, which costs us $20 per month or $100 per year, including 30 days of cloud storage, which is usually combined with a monitoring subscription. Here are the best DIY security camera recommendations for your reference.
Wifi Mini Indoor Security Camera - Campark – Campark - Focus on Cameras
- Resolution: 2MP
- Daytime distance: 98ft (30m)
- Night vision distance: 16ft (5m)
- Audio: Built-in microphone
- Smart security: Smart PIR Motion Detect and Instant
- Storage: SD Card (not included)/ Cloud Storage
- Maximum supported memory card: 128G
- Waterproof: Not waterproof
- Package Dimensions:4.17 x 3.5 x 1.65 inches
- Item Weight: 6.4 ounces
- Charging ：5V/1A
- APP: UBox
This mini wireless camera offers the best value for the use of space. It can be installed in many places, such as walls, balconies and porches, and the bracket included in the package can be rotated and adjusted to multiple orientations. It adopts the latest low power consumption technology and a built-in rechargeable 2800 battery, which can achieve a long standby time of 180 days. Equipped with a sensitive PIR motion sensor with 120° angle and 16ft distance, it will send an alert to your phone in real time when motion is detected. 2 storage options, easy to install, ready to use, very convenient. This one is the easiest indoor DIY home security camera.
Campark SC04 4MP 100% Wireless Wifi Solar Security Camera With HDMI Ou – Campark - Focus on CamerasCampark SC04 4MP 100% Wireless Wifi Solar Security Camera With HDMI Ou – Campark - Focus on Cameras
- Specification:Video Resolution： 3MP(2340*1296P)，Live View
- lmage Sensor: 1/3.2" CMOS Image Sensor
- Field of View: 4mm fixed lens
- Motion Detection: 120°and detection range of 23ft
- IR Distance: 33ft
- Digital Zoom: 5x digital Zoom
- Operating temperature： -20 ℃ to 50℃(-4℉ to 122°F)
- APP： CloudEye
- Battery Capacity： 6400
- Charging ：5V/1A
- Solar Panel: 2W
Campark SC04 solar security camera is 100% wireless and solar powered, which can save the trouble of connecting wires and network cables. 3MP clear images can be captured within a 120° wide-angle range. The best thing about this security camera is that it can not only view videos and pictures outside the phone but also supports an HDMI output display. Equipped with an HDMI cable and a wired mouse, the camera can be directly connected to the monitor. Even if you are not connected to the Internet, you can view the video captured by the camera in real-time on the monitor to achieve 24/7 recording. In addition, view and control your security system remote devices locally from a tablet, PC, or via a smartphone app on a mobile device. It is the best outdoor DIY home security system.
1080P 24/7 Security Camera Kit With 7" LCD Monitor - Campark SC01 – Campark - Focus on Cameras1080P 24/7 Security Camera Kit With 7" LCD Monitor - Campark SC01 – Campark - Focus on Cameras
- Specification:7" LCD screen
- Monitor Resolution: 1024*600 resolution
- Built-in 3600mAh Li-ion battery
- Support up to 128GB TF card (not included)
- Support WIFI connection router
- Type-C port for power supply & charging
- Camera: 2MP pixel, HD1920*1080 resolution
- Daytime color, nighttime black & white
- 4 infrared lights, night vision distance of 49 ft(15m)
- Self-marked, speaker
- IP66 waterproof
This wireless security camera system features an all-in-one design, 1080P full HD, with a 7-inch LCD and 4 cameras. The built-in rechargeable battery allows you to carry the display anywhere in your home. The camera system is pre-installed with a 32GB memory card, which supports 24/7 continuous recording, and the memory card will be overwritten automatically when it is full. It is a very cost-effective security camera.